18.2-204.1. Fraudulent Use of Birth Certificates, Driver's Licenses, etc.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to obtain or possess the birth certificate of another for the pupose of establishing a false identity for himself or for another person.
B. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, sell or transfer any document for the purpose of establishing a false status, occupation, membership, license, or identity for himself or any other person.
C. Any person who shall violate the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor, except when the birth certificate or document is obtained, possessed, sold, or transferred with the intent to use such certificate or document to purchase a firearm, in which case a violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.
D. The provisions of this section shall not apply to members of state, federal, county, city, or town law enforcement agencies in the performance of their duties.
32.1-276. Penalty Imposed for Violations
Any person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of a Class 4 felony:
1. Who willfully and knowingly makes any false statement in a report, record, or certificate required to be filed under this chapter, or in an application for an amendment, certification or verification of any such report, record, or certificate, or who willfully and knowingly supplies false information intending that such information be used in the preparation of any such report, record, or certificate, or amendment thereof; or
2. Who without lawful authority and with the intent to deceive, makes, counterfeits, alters, amends, or mutilates any report, record, or certificate required to be filed under this chapter or a certified copy of such report, record, or certificate; or
4. Who willfully and knowingly obtains, possesses, uses, sells, furnishes or attempts to obtain, possess, use, sell, or furnish to another, for any purpose of deception, any certificate, record, or report required by this chapter or certified copy thereof made, counterfeited, altered, amended, or mutilated or which is false in whole or part or which relates to the birth of another person whether living or deceased with lawful authority; or
6. Who is an employee of the State Registrar or of the Department of Health while engaged in activities pertaining to the operation of the system of vital records who, without lawful authority, willfully, and knowingly furnishes or possesses any certificate, report, record, or certification thereof, with the knowledge or intention that it be used for the purposes of deception; or,
7. Who, without lawful authority, possesses any certificate, record, or report required by this chapter or a copy or certification of such certificate, record, or report knowing same to have been stolen or otherwise unlawfully obtained.
Virginia Department of Health, Office of Vital Records and Health Statistics
P.O. Box 1000, Richmond, Virginia, 23218-1000
Information Line: (804) 662-6200