WHAT IS DATA EXCHANGE?
Data exchange is a method of transferring immunization data from an existing electronic system and into the Virginia Immunization Registry System (VIIS).
You can learn more about meeting meaningful use by sending data to VIIS here: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/clinicians/meaningfuluse/
VIIS can accept the following data exchange methods:Return to Top
- PHINMS (http://www.cdc.gov/phin/tools/PHINms/index.html)
- SFTP (Hosted by Site/Vendor)
- Manual Upload through VIIS
HOW OFTEN CAN DATA BE TRANSPORTED TO VIIS?
- Real Time Data Exchange: Real Time is a form of data exchange in which the instant the immunization is entered into the electronic record system, it is transferred into VIIS. PHINMS and HTTPS transport allow Real Time Exchange.
- Batch Loading: Batch loading allows for several patients and immunizations to be grouped into one file over time and sent over to VIIS at once. Typically batch files are processed twice daily; the site can set its own frequency. It is encouraged to upload batch files at least weekly. PHINMS, HTTPS, SFTP and Manual Upload allow Batch Loading.
- VIIS team is contacted by the Provider/Vendor of interest.
- VIIS team ensures the Provider/Vendor has File Specifications.
- VIIS team confirms the site is registered and has submitted a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA).
- The Provider/Vendor supplies non-personal health information (PHI) sample file for VIIS Data Analyst to approve file format.
- Provider/Vendor supplies sample file with information from their electronic health record for VIIS Data Analyst to approve file content.
- Provider/Vendor selects transport method
- Manual upload through User Interface (user signs in and uploads file)